This is the SECOND of a series of posts on the history of our wonderful planned neighborhood by Ervin Construction.
Amity Gardens was the second subdivision, following Eastway Park in 1952, that the Ervin Company developed along the Independence Boulevard corridor.
The neighborhood was platted on the south side of Independence Boulevard at its intersection with Albemarle Road. Planning for the subdivision began at a time when the firm founded by Charles Ervin was quickly rising in prominence and expanding its work in the city, thanks in large part to post-war policies that specifically promoted middle-class suburban neighborhoods filled with detached housing units owned by a homogeneous population.
Credit:Acme Preservation Services